Start a new topic

LINK - New users, issues, first thoughts and praise?

Got my LINK. Awesome. Couple of immediate thoughts: 1) Tag screw in: Depending on the age of your grip it can be a little tricky to screw them all the way down. Be gentle, patient and don't force it. 2) Remember it doesn't need to be tight on the handle, just so it sits there is fine. Went and had a practice round with it. 1) As per instruction - it took about 7 minutes to get location lock. I will definitely turn it on during warm up next time. 2) My course has 2 back to back par 3's - it missed the hole changeover and added my shots to the previous hole. Easily able to move the shots to the other hole - but had I not checked at the end of the second par3, it could have made a mess of the scorecard. 3) Checked the phone on several occasions to see how it was going - noticed several random entries of shots that were entered on holes I hadn't got to. I keep my phone in the bottom pocket of my bag, maybe the tags are somehow interacting with my phone . Overall really happy with ease of setup and use. Couple of bugs as above to be expected - hopefully easy fixes. Congrats on the release guys!! Kindest regards, Clappdawg!

Walt - You have to choose a setup option whether you want to read the tags via phone or by LINK. I would think that one choice would disable the other to stop "misreads" from having the phone somewhere near the tags. Any thoughts on the missed change of hole?

+John - I don't know if you followed the detailed pairing instructions found here, and copied below:

http://support.golfpadgps.com/support/solutions/articles/6000174634-detailed-link-pairing-instructions

Once paired in step 6 below, the blue light on the reader should change from blinking every second to only every 5 seconds. The key is step 8, reproduced below:

1. Fully charge your Golf Pad LINK. The orange LED charging light will turn to green once the device is fully charged.

2. Power on the LINK by pressing the power button (see this page for LINK controls information).

3. Open Golf Pad app and tap Settings

4. Select Golf Pad LINK from settings list

5. Enable Golf Pad LINK. On Android only, choose 'Use LINK reader' option.

6. Tap PAIR A NEW DEVICE

7. You should see a Golf Pad LINK device in the list of the nearby devices. It may take a minute to appear. Select it from the list.

8. Once you get the prompt, press and hold the power button on the LINK reader for 2+ seconds.

The LINK is now be connected. Proceed to install tags and assign clubs.

Unable to pair the LINK? Please check the troubleshooting steps at this page.

If that doesn't do it, see the 'reset' instructions on the troubleshooting page found in the link above.

I have been using the Tags for several years now so am familiar with the sound and vibration that you get with a tag which is almost the same with the Link. When the Link was working well I could feel and hear the tag sound each and every time no problem which immediately let me know that I had tagged the club. When it wasn't tagging it was hard to tell because I really couldn't feel anything, and I tried several times when I didn't get an indication that a tag had been made. Not to say it wasn't vibrating lightly, I just couldn't feel anything with Link attached to my belt and during the round. As for setting the phone up prior to round, I had lock instantly with power button turned off and sleep mode set pretty high also when Link wouldn't tag I would take phone out and make sure it wasn't sleep to see if club was tagging. Another reason for my amazement was the fact that it was asking to import when my phone was so close to the Link all day and the phone is brand new Samsung S8 plus, I have never had a tagging problem with just the tags when tagging with my phone in the past few months. I am playing again today and since it is just a friendly round I will have much more time to test it out thoroughly when I play. Hopefully it was just a glitch and things go a little more smoothly this time. One last thing, when prompted to import tags to my phone, it did double my strokes on the holes that were not tagged? I ended up with 10's on par 5's that should have been 5's.

The guys at Contorra are freaking awesome!! Sent a bug report about the hole-changeover issue and next day got this response: Hello Anthony, Thank you for reporting issue. Now we are improving auto advance algorithm, it will be available in next update. Thank you, Golf Pad team. So quick to respond, so quick to fix. Love these guys!

Just finished playing a round today with the Link and it was flawless this time. Every tag worked first time with no glitches what so ever. The only thing that I did differently was changed out all of my old tags on my clubs to the new ones that came with the Link, re-assigned them and went out and played. I did also allow about 20 minutes prior to my round for the device to lock onto satellites and off I went. I am finally feeling good about the unit and confident that it will definately work great in the future. It is possible that the first time I used it that because the course was very rural, that maybe I was having satellite issues and that was causing the tags not to work consistently or maybe the old tags were bad. I don't know, my plans next time are to play a whole round  with my phone put away in the golf bag and try using the import feature!

+Walter I have just had a software update to my android phone - I too am now getting the "connect to link" screens - even when I am just looking at stats. Cancel the attempt - retries straight away. May be time for a bugfix report?

Bob Harris....  My LINK worked great for 10 holes as well before it powered off. It has been attached to a charger for 11 days now and will not take a charge or turn on. Apparently we received defective units that need to be returned either for service or a refund. I entered a support ticket 7/31/17 which was acknowledged by support@contorra.com the same day, but have not received any updates yet. I just added a comment to my open support ticket asking for an address to return the LINK and tags.

William Sullivan - I located your support ticket and see a reply from our team to you from 13 days ago. By your comment here, it seems the issue is not resolved. We'll re-open your ticket so we can work through the issues. 

Connection and locations issues already just put away in my bag. More problems than woth the time no one wants to wait for me trying to get it to work.

John, update the software on your phone.  I had the same issue but it was fixed when the software was updated.

OK, I reset LINK and charged it again.  This time it charged right up.  Everything is working again so I guess I'll give it another chance.  Scheduled to play again on Wednesday but I definitely want to get out sooner. Maybe for nine holes on Monday.  When it works it's great.  Hope it keeps going this time.

Posted a dashboard rnd today: https://dashboard.golfpadgps.com/round/RQNC3N#1 This was a "don't check the phone" round to see how LINK got on by itself. I didn't check the phone nor edit the recorded shots - so it is a "raw data" round. I connected LINK 15 mins before the round began. Started on the back 9, immediate issues. If you look at the round it missed 2 par 3's and added shots that should have been on 12th to 9th hole that I didn't even play. I especially like my 310 metre putt #muscles. Did seem to sort itself out by 13 but made the start of the round almost impossible to log. Have logged a support ticket for their troubleshooting purposes.

Not able to get a round in, but I did take LINK along to the driving range with me (which is at a golf course). It got satellite lock fairly quickly, but took more than 15 minutes for the phone to recognize the reader (which was almost right next to it). I'd cancelled and restarted the process several times until it finally recognized the reader. I believe this was right after I'd turned off the security setting normally used with just tags where you don't want the power button to instantly lock your phone. 

I created a 'mock' round, and tagged some clubs as I hit. While away from my phone by perhaps 10 yards, I lost bluetooth connectivity, so my tags didn't look like they registered when looking at my smartwatch. Once I got back closer to my phone, all the shots tagged suddenly registered.

Then I discovered another issue that appears to be a good idea on the surface, but in reality could be very frustrating. The app now appears to record shots to the hole it 'thinks' you're on, no matter if you deliberately indicate what hole your playing through the phone or smartwatch. To test this, I indicated that I was on the first tee and tagged a shot. At the range where I'm hitting at, the 7th hole is the closest hole to the range. So no matter what I did, all shots got recorded on the 7th hole.

This logic appears necessary for a user that just uses the reader alone. I think it would be wise to let the user have an option to record on the hole indicated on your phone/watch, with the usual logic for advancing to the next hole. Otherwise. for users who play on courses with up and down fairways with shared rough, shots will get recorded all over the map. If you have a habit of playing from the wrong fairway (not intentionally of course :)), expect that your shots will need to be moved.

Login or Signup to post a comment