Fitbit support

Posted over 7 years ago by Steve Arrowood

Post a topic
S
Steve Arrowood

I see that Fitbit wearables are not supported by GolfPad currently. Any plans in the near future to do so? I'm in the market for a smartwatch/fitness tracker and FitBit seems to fit the bill for me. 

5 Votes

24 Comments

Sorted by
O

Ozman312 posted about 2 years ago

I just wanted to check in and see if we can get and update on Fitbit Compatibility. Please let us know if this integration has been set up yet.

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted almost 4 years ago Admin

Hi Steve - I love your enthusiasm. Personally, I'm not one of the developers, but I know our team HAS had and continues to have communication with Fitbit on the matter. I'll lend my voice to the thread on Fitbit's side too. Thanks for your added effort with this. - Cindy

1 Votes

S

Steve Arrowood posted almost 4 years ago

exactly so why do you think I posted it there too? Jump on in there and tell them you can help if you think it will matter. The idea is to spread the awareness and make it happen. I don't want to spend 500 bucks on a watch just to use the integration with the app. Fitbit devices are much more affordable and integrate with so many things already. 

Maybe as a developer yourself you can make more specific requests than I would be doing on that forum so have at it. 

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Hi Steve -  It has to change on Fitbit's side. It's like when Apple wouldn't allow 3rd party integration with thier NFC readers for YEARS. They finally allowed it in 2018. As soon as that happened, we integrated our Golf Pad TAGS with iPhone. Our team wants to make it happen, just sometimes other companies have different business objectives. We've made our desire known and now, just have to wait and see if they change their policy. I hope that clears things up. - Cindy

0 Votes

S

Right but the point is to I dunno make the integration happen?!? It really cannot be this difficult. 

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Hi Steve - thanks for helping champion the cause! Looks like Fitbit confirmed what we've found - which is integration just isn't there yet. I know eBay has some offers on preowned or refurbished Apple Watches. Apple Watch 2 or later have GPS. There is now a  Golf Pad Stand Alone option on Apple Watch Series 2 or later. Premium is required for smartwatch sync. If you don't have Premium yet, just send us a message for a free trial. You can read more here: https://support.golfpadgps.com/en/support/solutions/articles/6000222347-can-i-use-apple-watch-without-iphone- I hope this helps. 

Thanks for being a long time user. It means a lot. - Cindy

0 Votes

S

I've created a forum post on the Fitbit community site as well to see what can be done here. Feel free to chime in or just follow! This seems really silly to not be able to do in this day and age. 

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/SDK-Development/Fitbit-integration-with-GolfPad-app/m-p/4240386#M11919

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted about 4 years ago Admin

I'm not personally involved in the intracacies of navigating 3rd party integration with different brands. I know some are more open than others. I'll check with the team about any updates Fitbit may have released and get back to you. Thanks! We know Fitbit users are keen to have the option. - Cindy

Update: As far as we know, there haven't been any updates to FitBit SDK, so for now this feature is still on hold. 

0 Votes

a

anzucker@aol.com posted about 4 years ago

Oh, and gamegolf supports the Fitbit ionic...just not any watches that rely on phone GPS.

0 Votes

a

anzucker@aol.com posted about 4 years ago

Cindy, I'm not sure how this is true. Strava has a phone app that since with Fitbit and a watch app on the Fitbit. I understand that Fitbit does not make this easy, but I have no don't it could be done.

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted over 4 years ago Admin

We investigated Fitbit support, and unfortunately they do not support phone+watch companion apps like Pebble used to. We hope Fitbit will open up their SDK in the future.

0 Votes

S

Steve Arrowood posted almost 5 years ago

Lmao a year ago: "Hello! We are going to add support for Fitbit watches this year."

Today: *Checks app* Still no Fitbit support

lmfaooo glad I didn't hold my breath on this one. FYI I stopped using this app because it's annoying to have to take out my phone every stroke to get accurate distances.

Do better.

0 Votes

N

Nicolas Girot posted almost 5 years ago

Any news ??? At least can you provide an api to make developers able to do something on there one...

0 Votes

K

Khawar Ahmad Khan posted over 5 years ago

@Alyona Retunskaya any timeline as we have been waiting for a long time.

Regards

0 Votes

T

Tobias Björkman posted almost 6 years ago

Great! Fitbit support is much anticipated and will be appreciated by many I believe!

1 Votes

Alyona Retunskaya

Alyona Retunskaya posted almost 6 years ago Admin

Hello! We are going to add support for Fitbit watches in this year. 

2 Votes

K

Khawar Ahmad Khan posted almost 6 years ago

Hi, any plans to add Support for Fitbit Blaze or Versa? Versa even has NFC built in.

0 Votes

W

Walter Nerling posted about 7 years ago

P.S. Not only is the screen size an issue, I couldn't see anybody really being happy using a model like the Fitbit Charge since it only has one button on it. My Pebble has 3 buttons, and even four would be advantageous when navigating menu items say, to mark a penalty. With only one button, how would this even be possible, and if it was, it would take so many clicks that a user wouldn't be happy?

Even looking at the Blaze which has more buttons and is a larger size, the actual active screen is pretty small, so the text would have to be tiny to display the normal GolfPad screen info I see on my Pebble. Bottom line is it seems that Fitbit focuses on fitness tracking, while ideally GolfPad users need more of a smartwatch format. Maybe that will change with the Pebble acquisition, but if you plan on using a device to use with GolfPad, in my opinion there's so many other choices out there more suitable and of better value.

0 Votes

W

Walter Nerling posted about 7 years ago

When I started looking into smartwatches, I looked at the Fitbit fitness trackers. I don't know how you'd fit all the information normally displayed on the face of my Pebble on them, as most of their offerings are just too small. In my opinion, in order to display on course GolfPad info (front, back, middle of green, hole number, par#, strokes/putts), you need the display to be as big as a normal watch face, which most of their models are not.

Now with Fitbit acquiring Pebble, they are only supporting them for 2017. Thanks Fitbit/Pebble. Once my Pebble dies, I'll look elsewhere at Samsung, Asus, etc.

0 Votes

S

Steve Arrowood posted about 7 years ago

so what's the logic in not supporting the largest platform of fitness wearables? Seems counter-intuitive to me that's all. Thanks! Hope to see Fitbit support soon!

0 Votes

Keaton

Keaton posted about 7 years ago

We do not have immediate plans to support any of the Fitbit wearables. If we see enough interest from users, obviously, it is something we will look into. Perhaps, with the latest happenings with Pebble this is something enough users will ask for. 

0 Votes

K

Khawar Ahmad Khan posted about 7 years ago

Request Golf Pad team to let us know if it is in the works.

Thanks

0 Votes

P

Phillip Farmer posted about 7 years ago

Since Fitbit has bought Pebble, this becomes even more improtant as Pebble as a stand alone is going away.

0 Votes

K

Khawar Ahmad Khan posted over 7 years ago

I'm also faithfully waiting for compatibility with Fitbit charge HR. Thanks

0 Votes

Login or Sign up to post a comment