Handicap

Posted over 5 years ago by Dean Jackson

Post a topic
Un Answered
D
Dean Jackson

I paid for premium so I could see handicap details even though I know it's not official.
I can't find anything on the stats section when I access GolfPad on my computer.
It shows a handicap index at the top but I don't even know what that means?
It's very frustrating.

0 Votes

6 Comments

Sorted by
D

David Hutton posted over 3 years ago

Hi Donna,

I'm not sure about the "Diff" - it's not something that appears on my app (Are you using a different scoring system than CONGU? I'm guessing maybe Diff is something particular to USGA/EGU/SAGA/WHS, perhaps). 

The adjusted score (or at least on CONGU), is an adjustment for handicap calculation purposes. CONGU caps the score for each hole at a net double bogey to minimise the impact on your handicap of having a "blow-out" hole. 

Example, I play off 18 at the moment. I scored a 92 the other week, but on one of the holes I shot 4 over par. I get one stroke from my handicap on each hole, so my score for handicap purposes is capped at 3 over par. Whilst my actual score and stableford points for the round are both based on the 92, I have an adjusted score of 91. The only thing that gets used for is calculation of handicap though.

As I said though, this is just how it works under CONGU.  An adjusted score of -17 seems a bit wild though  not sure how that would happen. Maybe adjusted score is different under the scoring system you use?

I'd recommend dropping holf pad support a request for info. They have all the details of how each handicap stat is calculated for each system (and if there's anything funny going on with the -17 they can look at it fr you at the same time)

Good luck!

0 Votes

D

Donna Dineley posted over 3 years ago

David, that's very helpful information. Can you tell me what the "Diff" and "adjusted score" represent? I thought the adjusted score was the score with the handicap applied but I have a -17 on one round and that definitely seems off.

0 Votes

D

Dean Jackson posted over 5 years ago

Thanks very much David and Walter, very much appreciated.

0 Votes

D

David Hutton posted over 5 years ago

Hi Dean, just to follow-on from Walter's post;

The player dashboard on the website just shows you your currently calculated handicap as "handicap index". There's no additional information there.

The real meat is in the app. If you go to "Settings" -> "User Profile", at the bottom you'll see some handicap information. Click the "Details" button at the bottom of the page, and it will take you to a screen that shows every round you have saved, and how it affects your handicap.

At the top right, you choose the Handicap association that you play under. For example,. I play most of my golf in the UK so I choose CONGU as that's where most of the courses I play on are registered.

- Each round then shows the Tees you played from, your Gross Score, your Adjusted score (some associations cap score at Double Bogey for the purpose of handicap calculation, for example), and the Standard Scratch Score of the course you played on.

- Golf Pad will then use this information to calculate your handicap, based on the rules for your association. You'll have to look these up to understand them, but should be easy to find.

CONGU, for example, takes the lowest score of your first 3 rounds to calculate your starting handicap, and then it is adjusted each round based on the "zone" that your current handicap is in and how you performed against it. If I were in Zone 3 and shot 2 under my handicap, for example, it would decrease by 2x 0.3, so 0.6.  

Whatever your handicap is currently calculated as, it is rounded to the nearest whole number and used every time you play (if you have it set to automatically calculate, that is). You can always manually override it if you want.

Hope this helps!

1 Votes

W

Walter Nerling posted over 5 years ago

Yes, when you're on the website, on your player dashboard, that handicap index at the top is your calculated handicap. You can also find this on the app, in Settings, in the 'User Profile' where you specify whether the app calculates the handicap, or the user inputs themselves. 

0 Votes

D

Dean Jackson posted over 5 years ago

I just read my comment above which I posted last night.  It sounds aggressive, it isn't meant to be, just looking for some help!  

0 Votes

Login or Sign up to post a comment