Any good tips for scanning Golf Tags on the course?

Posted over 8 years ago by Bobby R.

Post a topic
Un Answered
Bobby R.
Bobby R.

I absolutely love the golf tags with Golf Pad, but hate how I look on the Tee box, sticking my club out perpindicular from my body, rubbing the butt of my club on my pocket, trying to find the NFC sweet spot.

I understand the difficulties with NFC as a technology in general, but I was wondering if anyone found a good way to get the tags to scan without looking so silly, or them being so fussy?

The worst is on the tee box when everyone is standing around watching.  I've considered taking my driver golf tag off, and keeping it in the pocket opposite my phone so I can pull it out and tap it, instead of doing the club rub, golf tag dance.

1 Votes

36 Comments

Sorted by
D

Douglas Kucmerowski posted about 2 years ago

Hate to answer such an old Golf Pad Tag Topic, but wanted to share a solution that works well and from an "ease of use" perspective this is the one that ends lots of the fumbling that's done trying to scan tags and play a round of golf. I also didn't want to have this GPS app (and it's accessories) slow up my game or have friends complaining that I spend too much time on my phone, and not enough actually golfing. First thing... Invest in a Caddie Buddy Phone Holder. And not just anyone... get the one in the link below https://caddiebuddy.com/push-cart-phone-gps-mount/ This phone mount allows the lower half of most phones to be assessable, on the back side, where the phone antenna is located for NFC communication. That's the near-field that Golfpad Tags use with phones. The phone holder comes with a Sun Mountain Pull; Cart screw mount, as well as a separate twist-type clamp, that can be mounted on any pull cart handle or riding golf cart windsheid frame. Mount that holder & phone, in a location, in your cart, that allows you to put the face of the phone at the back, middle of the phone, you should see the Tag Register regardless if you have the app open. Once you start playing, and placing your clubs under the phone in the cradle, you will start to see that you find the "sweet spot" much quicker with the phone stationary. The mounting clamp on this design allowed me to get a 46" Driver under the Phone/Holder with the grip and Tag flat. It raises the Phone App up high enough so you basically pull the club out, hold in under your cart handle, and it shows the club registered. After using it for about 10-12 shots I was hitting the antenna within seconds of removing the head cover off the club. I found that taking the phone in and out of a pocket, trying to scan by moving club & phone, just doesn't work well. And the Tag really needs to be FLAT against the NFC antenna location. A fixed location for your golf data display is always better, less chance to close the app moving the phone in and out of pockets So what about the putter you ask? Do not use a Tag on that, much easier to just register the number of putts on the app using the PUTT button... Press the putt button, press next hole, and move on. Stop trying to spot location when the key information is how far away is your first putt. That putt distance value could be something that you enter manually, after you do a quick paceoff of. Again, don't slow down play by trying to capture putt data to the "nearest inch" when the real data that helps the score is how close was the approach and did you get down in two. Cindy can work with development to have a box pop up when PUTT button is used, asking for distance... and that could be a selectable option in the setup section for using Tags. Until the integration between the GPS driven GolfPad App and a connected watch allows the use of both Tag Register AND the watch GPS, the idea of spotting the cup on a green, and using a Putter Tag are "difficult" at best. The idea of this product is to speed up play...not slow it down. You get perfect shot information, at the ball location, with recommended clubs in the Premium Version. If the putter tag still needs work to make it better, enter only that part manually, instead of all these work-arounds that really need better watch connectivity. Don't use a pull cart or ride? The clamp will allow you to mount on your umbrella handle if your carry. Or do a little modification and find the spot to mount on your bag with a built in stand. It's worth it to you to end the GoldPad Tag Pocket Pool game being played. Think about it...

0 Votes

T

Todd Baker posted over 2 years ago

Edwin, I may give this a try.  Thanks for the idea.  I’ve been wondering why a couple tags are hit and miss when scanning.

0 Votes

e

edwin posted over 2 years ago

I use a phone holster and what I noticed is that the metal and little magnets in the holster interfere with the NFC signal. Another thing was my putter grip. Because of the 'metal' bolt on top it had big troubles getting read by my phone.

My solution was to put a ferrite sticker on the entire back of the tag. It worked wonders so I ended up putting ferrite stickers on all my tags at the back.

Maybe it might be an idea for golfpad to look at NFC tags made for on metal surfaces. It realy boosts the performance on reading the tags.

1 Votes

J

Johnny Nonny posted over 3 years ago

Get a phone clip. It does wonders. 

0 Votes

P

Phil Michel posted almost 4 years ago

My Tags are supposed to arrive soon so I have no experience with tagging and my iPhone. The Game Golf "Classic" device that I have used for years was easy to work with. I've seen mention of people keeping the phone "nearby", or taking it out to tag. Has anyone tried putting their phone in a holster or belt clip and tagging their shots?

0 Votes

A

Armand posted over 6 years ago

I thought the bunker shots would be automatically selected, similar to the fairway results of a drive.  This doesn't seem to happen, so I'm always going in after the round and editting the shots to "fix" those things.  It does help tremendously that I can recall all of my shots in a round even up to a week later (I only play once a week or so), so I know which shots were from the sand or from the fringe or first cut.

I only have the tags and not the Link, so I have no idea how the Link works.  I'll have to speak to a friend who uses a Pebble watch with his tags and see if that is simple to do "on the fly".

0 Votes

N

Nick Dabrowski posted over 6 years ago

Was not happy with the durability of the first tags out, but now very happy with the second generation black tags. I golf 3 to 5 times a week and have not had a tag failure since I got them 3 months ago. As far as using Link, I turn the phone volume way down and rely on the vibration of the Link. It's working great and I'm not holding anyone up. Most don't even realize what I'm doing. I do wish there were an easy way to record a sand shot without pulling my phone out. I have a Sony, Pebble, and Magellan smartwatch, but none have a provision for adding a sand shot. Maybe in the works?

0 Votes

L

Les Blancs posted about 7 years ago

I found the noise the app makes when the club is put to the phone in my pocket was a bit of an embarrassment when with others... until I found the option to turn it off or down. I bought myself a cheap pebble watch and can now leave my phone in my pocket and use my watch to work out distances and see numbers of shots taken. I can also add shots if needed. I love this app and am now building up an accurate record of my improvement over time.

0 Votes

W

Walter Nerling posted over 7 years ago

The most important capability of the LINK reader is to bring TAG functionality to the iPhone. There missing that huge market segment without it. I think the secondary consideration is for ease of scanning for all users. I think if Apple allowed NFC reading in their phone, you wouldn't see the LINK being introduced at all.

I'm in the other camp. I going to enjoy leaving the phone in/on the cart and will get yardages from my cheapo smart watch. I'll grab the phone in the rare instance when I'm playing a new course and don't know yardages to hazards. I hate carrying my phone is the bottom line. I'd prefer the reader and a smart watch. I know you prefer your phone.

I think the goal of the design of the TAGS was to make them as low profile as possible. So less chance of breaking or dislodging them if struck against something. So I don't think they'd be as durable in a slanted format as you suggest.

As for the cost of the tags themselves, yes, it's way too much but you have to understand the app-for-phone market.

A normal marketplace should work like this.

1. - ALL users pay a fee for the software (say $35); it ain't free;
  2. - some extra features and upgrades are a yearly fee (say $20); i.e. premium subscription
  3. - other goodies like TAGS are $15-20

But the app-for-phone market works like this:

1. - YOU MUST GIVE THE APP AWAY FOR FREE; the cheap freeloaders out there won't download anything that hits you up for a fee right off the bat; you'll never get any traction with an app otherwise; the cheapskates out there won't even pay for premium features, and will kick and scream if they have to (and then they'll go download something else);
  2. - because of point #1, you have to recoup ALL of your costs (and your profit margin because nobody works for free) from the extras (like the overpriced TAGS), and to pay for future enhancements, and development every time there's a new iOS or Android flavour. So you have to realize the $99 covers the app (which you should have paid for), the freeloaders, and part of future development.

Now the interesting part is that smart watches are being developed WITH NFC readers. That would eliminate the need for LINK (and for having your phone in your pocket). That would be the ultimate solution in my books.

1 Votes

J

Jrtonyday posted over 7 years ago

A simple solution is for GolfpadGPS, or perhaps one of their competitors in case anyone else is listening, to make tags that are slanted. Instead of making the TAGS slanted, GolfpadGPS makes the additional reader slanted to entice users to buy the reader.  A benefit of GolfpadGPS is that it's able to use a phone's built in NFC.  Making it awkward to the point of annoyance to scan a club with a phone removes that benefit.

With the recent redesign of the TAGS not including a slant option for those who don't want to buy or carry extra equipment on their person during a round is a disappointment.  Given that the TAGS sell for a hundred dollars with manufacturing costs probably less than 10% of that, and the fact that the app itself is not free, there is no excuse to not make the TAGS user friendly for us Android users.

0 Votes

W

Walter Nerling posted over 7 years ago

Some people must be golfing with a tough crowd. I've even golfed as a single with a group, and others weren't even aware of what I was doing with the app and phone most of the time.

On the tee, I usually tag while everyone is still clamoring up to the tee box (and I or another player is not yet ready to tee off), and in the fairway, I'm tagging while others are making a practice swing, etc., so that's not an issue. For most first putts, I tag just as I reach my ball before I even mark it, so again it's no issue/no delay with playing partners. The only part I don't like is when I'm about to make my second putt that's less than a foot to the hole, and I have to tag before putting it away. Until that point, most people aren't aware of what I'm doing with my phone and clubs. I may try to get in the habit of marking from my watch (Mark Shot/As putt) instead, but still that's not perfect.

0 Votes

T

Thomas posted over 7 years ago

I have had them for over a year.  They never worked well for me.  As the person who started this thread stated, you look ridiculous trying to scan the club and the rest of your group gets irritated waiting on you.  That means that after a few holes, I have to stop using them.

0 Votes

A

Adam Fowler posted over 7 years ago

Interesting. How old are they and about how many rounds have you played? I've recently gotten the tags and am still inside my return window. They are supposedly more durable now but if they aren't going to live long enough to really benefit from them there may not be a point. 

0 Votes

T

Thomas posted over 7 years ago

I have not Adam.  My golf tags are falling apart now.  I have already lost 3 of them.  I pulled my clubs from the bag and the top of the tag has come off.  They didn't work great to begin with and I have even less love for them now.

0 Votes

A

Adam Fowler posted over 7 years ago

Anyone seen an update on the status of the Link recently?

0 Votes

Ralf Taus

Ralf Taus posted over 7 years ago

I played some rounds on charted courses now and I´m happy to have the tags.
After I did the shot I put my phone out of my pocket, hold it over the tag (club vertical) and put the phone back. That need no time and I get a good feedback from the vibration, that my shot was tagged.
This routine became so natural that I sometime had to watch at my phone to check if I did the tagging. Every time all right. I don´t have to think about it.
The pitty is, that 2 of the tags seem to be broken. I can´t tag them, even with other NFC-apps the can´t be read. They are not damaged, as I can see. Let´s see hao long the other last.

0 Votes

B

Bill Ogden posted almost 8 years ago

I don't care what I look like (to an extent) touching my club to my pocket, but after the first couple rounds playing with the Golf Tags and only having an occasional problem of finding the sweet spot, now, on my last round (on a new course)  I had A LOT of problems getting the tag to register, even with the phone out of my pocket.  I'd kept getting these high pitched beeps before finally getting the confirmation sound.  Anyone know what's up with that? Are there settings or environmental factors in play?  I'll definitely stop using the tracking feature if I have to try moving the club over the phone again and again to get it to register... THAT looks ridiculous.  

0 Votes

Douglas Smith

Douglas Smith posted almost 8 years ago

I like the look and feel of the new design of tag. Not sure if tagging from a smartwatch is a doable option, My plans are to get the Link device when available and use that, making tagging much smoother. If it is anything like Game Golf's unit tagging clubs should be easy as pie and first touch always a good tag. Also using the Golfpad Link will save my phone battery and allow for the possibility of playing multiple rounds without a recharge.

0 Votes

S

Spencer Braun posted almost 8 years ago

I've had the tags for some time.   I was an early adopter and the original tags were 'taller' (the height of the tag from where it screws into the grip to the 'tagging surface' was thicker).   These original tags allowed me to tag my cased, pocketed phone at much more of an angle than the newer, slimline tags (I've received some replacements for lost tags).  While the new slim ones are nicer from an aesthetic standpoint, and likely less prone to wear from faulty grip, bag wear, etc, they do require that you hold the club handle much more 'perpendicular' to the body in order to get a flush tag.

Does anyone know if they have plans to be able to scan the tags from a smartwatch?

0 Votes

b

bob posted almost 8 years ago

I have attached my phone to the golf cart on the top strap works great , the only downfall is you can't go on the tee with your golf cart  so I use my watch off the tee.

0 Votes

Douglas Smith

Douglas Smith posted almost 8 years ago

I have been using Tags for awhile now and find that they can be a little touchy from time to time tagging my clubs. Granted I do have an Otter box case on my phone, I too simply take my phone out of my pocket and tap it a few times on the end of my club which is vertical club head down. I can usually get the software to recognize my club with very little effort even with my case on. I have tried tagging without the case and it is much easier, but I just prefer the added protection of the case on my phone so I elect to keep it on since I have been able to complete my round with 90% effectiveness of tagging. When I just can't get the sweet spot on my phone and need to quickly move along I just use my smart watch and tag my club and just go in and identify the club selection with the phone later. I will definitely get the Link when it is made available, just because tagging will be soooooo much easier and I will be able to keep my phone on the cart and just use my smart watch for distances, etc.

0 Votes

s

sgbani posted almost 8 years ago

First, I do not keep my phone in my pocket anyway when I swing, I have it out or in my bag when swinging.   I do use it to see how far I am hitting and such, so I find it is easy enough to have the club vertical, grip up (clubhead on ground) and tap the phone on the top.  Works easily, quick, and does not look weird.

0 Votes

J

Jpwozoo posted almost 8 years ago

First off, I can't believe how many of you care what you look like when your scanning your club. Are you playing in front of a large gallery? My friends have a lot more things to make fun of me with then scanning my club. You really think other golfers are playing any attention to you? Get over it. I've only used my tags 3 rounds and I think they're great. Phone in my pocket, I found the sweet spot on my phone and 1 scan, done. If you have to enter a code to unlock your phone, turn that feature off. These things are so easy to use I can't believe there are so many winers.

2 Votes

Ralf Taus

Ralf Taus posted almost 8 years ago

I used the app for 1,5 years without tags. I had no routine in tagging the shot. Sometimes I took my phnoe out of the pocket before the shot sometimes after. Every time I had to unlok the screen, press for shot, press for club selection, select the club und press for return. That needed time.
Now I played 1 round with the tags, unchartet. Playing unchartet you dont have the "black screen". So I had to take out my phone again.
It loocked like
taking phone out of the pocket
pressing home button (unlook the screen)
tagging club
pressing on/off
putting phone in pocket
All this I did after the shot in less than 4 seconds, no influence in the pro-shot-routine,
Most of my flight didn´t recognize what I did.
The first 2 holes I had to think of doing this, later I did it automatically.

I can imagine, that playing a mapped course I would look at the screen, checking distance, choose my club, tagging it and than starting the pre-shot-routine. If distance does no matter (green far away) I would like my after-shot-routine.

I will see.

0 Votes

J

Jpwozoo posted over 8 years ago

Just started using the tags and also having issues scanning a club. Another way I found to stop holding up play is to hit your shot first then scan your club as you're putting it away. This way the other players can resume their play while you finish messing with your app.

0 Votes

Login or Sign up to post a comment