Start a new topic
Answered

Smart Watch Recommendation for Andriod LG G6

Just swapped from an iphone to an Lg G6 couldbt be happier. I never considered a smart watch before because the apple watch was over priced. Now that im with andriod id like a smart watch. Its main use is for Golfpad. I duno if id ever use it for much else. But if i find it useful id consider it. I know theres a bunch posted by Golfpad but curious as to some users feedback and suggestions. Whats good about your watch whats bad. Price and ease of use are big things for me with full functionality of golfpad. (Heard some cant do as much) but so long as i can add a shot putt penalty and see distances im happy

Best Answer

Here's an article on what's happening past 2017 for Pebble.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/05/your-pebble-watch-will-still-work-after-its-servers-shut-down/

I think it's still a good option for the price if you don't see yourself using a smartwatch for other things such as fitness tracking, etc.

With the likes of some watchmakers exiting the market, things are in a bit of turmoil as far as smartwatches go. I've got a Pebble, but they've been bought by Fitbit and won't be supported in the future, though they may live on longer as 'Rebble'. Due to that, they're really inexpensive right now. Easy to see in full sun as they use e-paper on the display. If you don't see yourself using the watch for much else, this is a safe bet to last you a year or more for $50. The Pebble Classic has 4 buttons, so you can enter penalties, putts, etc. quickly.

If you see yourself using one for other things, the Asus Zenwatch 2 or 3 have been reduced lately, and use Android Wear. The Samsung Gear S2 is in the same range, and has its own operating system (Tizen). Both look good, but I haven't used with GolfPad.

I agree with Walter about the cost of the Pebble and ease of being able to see the e-paper screen easily outside. The only problem that I have with the Pebble is the size of the screen. I have slightly worse eyesight than I had 30 years ago and require a bit larger screen so I would suggest the Sony SWR50 smartwatch which has a Transflective 1.8 inch screen, and makes it ideal for any outside use and with the larger screen is great for my ability to see it without my reading glasses. The Sony is available also at a cost of about $100 or less if you search around the internet. Again I also have a pebble and used it quite a bit before I started using my Sony. Now the Sony is the only watch that I use playing golf with since it is water proof with a big display.

Yah ive hesrd that about the pebble. So if its no longer supported does that mean it will stop working for golfpad evntually? Also what about the Echo? I can get echos for 40-50$ Thanks

I did a lot of research on the echo prior to getting my Sony but since I am an Android user everything that I read as for that watch was negative. I also contacted there support to see if my phone was supported, they told me it wasn't supported yet but should work with the proper version of software on it. Also read a lot of negative reviews about Bluetooth losing connection periodically and basically a lot of negative reviews so I kind of shied away! Maybe they work OK for others not sure but just couldn't get enough feedback so I didn't get one.

From my research the Pebble 2 se fits my bill. But will it stop working eventually due to updates? If not maybe a gear fit 2 or asus
Answer

Here's an article on what's happening past 2017 for Pebble.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/05/your-pebble-watch-will-still-work-after-its-servers-shut-down/

I think it's still a good option for the price if you don't see yourself using a smartwatch for other things such as fitness tracking, etc.

Login or Signup to post a comment