Start a new topic
Answered

Magellan Echo vs. Pebble

I'm considering getting a smart watch to use with Golf Pad, and I'm wondering if there's any compelling reason to get the Magellan Echo over the Pebble (or vice-versa).  I'm really only looking to use it with Golf Pad, so that's what I'm most concerned with.

Thanks!

Best Answer

I went ahead and bought an inexpensive (~ $25) Pebble from Amazon.  I had no trouble installing the app, getting the watch working and downloading GolfPad.  I hate wearing watches, but it makes GolfPad so much more useable that I'll deal with it.  GP is truly a dream to use now.

The Pebble is a decent little device.  Hope FitBit will keep them up and running for a little while. 

I would not get either of those. I had an echo. Had it replaced under warranty due to continual locking up. Started again a few months after warranty expired. Found out Magellan is no longer making. All you are buying is old inventory or refurbished. Did research and bought a Pebble. It has been great, but Pebble has gone out of business. Fitbit bought Pebble rights, but golf-pad will not support Fitbit. Right now I don't know what I'll buy if, when my Pebble dies.

1 person likes this

Philip - Thanks for the info, especially about the Echo.  Amazon has such good deals on the Pebble, it may still be worth taking a shot with it.

I hope the price is good. My Pebble is only supported by Fitbit until the end of 2017, and then I'm holding my breath. 

Fitbit has also been having big problems with their latest smartwatch release, delayed since fall. 

I bought the Echo a year ago and have recently started experiencing connection issues with my Android. Playing golf without the convenience of the watch threw me off. Having to pull my phone out of my pocket for distances was so burdensome :^}

Was looking at the Pebble. Since I'm cheap I figured a good deal for the Pebble on Amazon would be worth 50 bucks if I can get a year use out of it.

I bought a used Pebble Time Round for $60.  I only use it for GolfPad.  Works great, battery lasts a long time (2 days easily) and because it's e-paper rather than LCD, is easy to read in bright sunlight out on the course.

In fact, I prefer the smartwatch over TAGS.  I had TAGS for a while (used with my phone) and I actually prefer quick tagging shots on my watch with a single button press, then after I finish the hole and exit the green, pull out my phone and quickly enter clubs for each shot as well as sand/lie information (only takes about 10-15 secs), since you can quickly advance to the next shot after you select your club.

Answer

I went ahead and bought an inexpensive (~ $25) Pebble from Amazon.  I had no trouble installing the app, getting the watch working and downloading GolfPad.  I hate wearing watches, but it makes GolfPad so much more useable that I'll deal with it.  GP is truly a dream to use now.

The Pebble is a decent little device.  Hope FitBit will keep them up and running for a little while. 

Login or Signup to post a comment