Start a new topic

Samsung Gear S3 Smart watch

The new Sansung smart watch is due out soon, and amongst the features are built in GPS and NFC.

Will you be updating the watch app so I am able to use the GPS function of the watch to get distances to the green?

Will you be utilising the watches NFC function so that the club tags can be tagged on the watch instead of the phone?

Controlling GolfPad from the watch by adding these functions would certainly put GolfPad in a very commanding position in the Golf GPS market

2 people like this idea

I would be interested in this as well. My Samsung S2 3G has NFC (non 3G models do not).

1 person likes this

This would make the APP the best in the market if you can use the Gear s3 to scan the tags!

Definitely, smartwatch feature must be increased. Also improve its look and feel.

The ability to use the GPS built into the watch is already available within Golf Pad. You should be able to select this within the settings menu. Unfortunately, the NFC that is present in the watch is not an NFC antenna that is capable of reading other NFC tags, it is simply a programmable NFC tag itself. The aren't any watches currently on the market that would allow us to scan Golf TAGS with the watch.

Hi, When using the Gear S3 with Golfpad in 'standalone mode' ..as in using the GPS on the watch with your phone turned off perhaps what features are available on the watc? In particular are hazards shown or just green front/centre/back?

I asked our engineers about this and was given an update about this system. Due to the way that Samsung designed the settings within this watch we cannot rely on the GPS that is in the watch so we use the GPS that is in the phone with the Gear S3. There is no 'standalone' mode that allows a watch to function without the app on the phone having a round started at the same time. The watches in general only display yardages to the front/middle/back of the green. To see yardages to hazards you will need to use the phone.

"I asked our engineers about this and was given an update about this system. Due to the way that Samsung designed the settings within this watch we cannot rely on the GPS that is in the watch so we use the GPS that is in the phone with the Gear S3. "

Is that correct? Only you said a month ago that "The ability to use the GPS built into the watch is already available within Golf Pad. You should be able to select this within the settings menu."

Andy,

Unfortunately, I misunderstood the information given to me by our engineers a month ago when I made the previous post. We are able to use GPS data from Android Wear based watches only. I mistakenly lumped the Samsung watches into that category. I apologize for the confusion. We are hopeful that the settings within the Samsung watches that are holding us back will be adjusted in the future and we will be able to bring this feature to those watch users. This is something we will certainly continue to work on.

Hi Keaton, I'm really hoping that you guys can get this ready before the release of Golf Link (or before). I've paid for my annual subscription for the app, but can't use it because I need to keep my mobile phone on me - not ideal. 

There are other golf apps on Gear S3 that relies on the watch's GPS. Are you sure the problem is on Samsung's end?

Thanks.

I recently pledged on Kickstarter for the new Link, which somewhat eliminates the need to carry around the smartphone to use the tags.  Unfortunately, you still have to wear the Link.  I agree with others here that it would be amazing if we could simply tag the sensors to the watch instead of the phone or the Link.  I understand that there are currently no phones out there that can do it, but perhaps that's an area of opportunity?  Why not create a golf GPS watch that you can use as the Link for the sensors?  That way, you can use only the watch and not carry a smartphone and not carry a Link.  I would support such a project on Kickstarter!!

I think much better is just talk to smartwatch saying "mark iron 7" or "mark driver" inserted use a tag...
Another possibility is select the club directly in the smartwatch screen.
Login or Signup to post a comment