Start a new topic

Smartwatch UI to track club used

I would like to see the ability to indicate which club was used on a particular shot from the watch UI. 

By default, it could use the suggested club based on distance to green, but then you could use a small button or wrist gesture to bump the club up or down depending on what you're using for the situation. This would allow players without tags to get shot statistics as if they had tags.

11 people like this idea

Second this.   This would be a great feature.  The native golf app for the motoactv smartwatch allowed for the recommended club to be changed at the time of the shot rather than editing through the phone.  I still think that old Motorola device hasn't been bested by the current android wear watches and apps.  Although I think golfpad seems to be the best to date.

2 people like this
I wonder if this would eliminate the need for golf Tags and perhaps the reason they didn't include it? Maybe unfair speculation on my part.

2 people like this
Oh man, I got a pebble thinking this feature was definitely available as it is in swing by swing app. Guess Im done using Golf Pad :(

Yeah, I must say that this is most disappointing.  For now I keep track on my paper scorecard what club I used, and then adjust the golfpad gps app after my round.  Something so simple, yet still not available.  Hopefully we will see this feature get into the app sooner rather than later

1 person likes this

Yeah. I want this feature, but definitely not at the price of simplicity/ease of use, which is the main thing I like about the wear app with Golf Pad. I'd like this capability, but I don't want to be forced to use it and I don't want it to get in the way of the simple '+shot' button's function.

Can someone please explain how the +Shot function works in conjunction with the pebble.

Specifically:

I wear the pebble, keep the phone in my back pocket always.

Assume I play a par 5:

1) Drive the ball with driver, stand up at tee and mark +shot on pebble, hit the ball

2) Ball lands 280 dead middle of fairway, I have 240 left. I hit +Shot on pebble

Question: does the app record a fairway hit?

2) I hit my second into a greenside bunker, 20 yards from green, I approach the sand and while standing in the sand, I press +Shot on the pebble.

Question: Does the app record a sand shot?

3) I hit the sand to within a foot of the pin, I approcah the putt and press +shot

Question, does the app know when were on the green for the pebble and changes to +putt?

4) I now approach the NEXT Tee and start the process over, assuming the hole number changes will the score from previous hole now be recorded?

Kindly explain....thanks

P.S. my friend uses SBS and pebble and loves the club tracking feature, but that app does require you to manually score the hole after putting out.. As I understand it Golf Pad will not require this if you use +shot and advance the hole.

Theres plenty of real estate on the Gear S for a Club selection slider type function or list etc.  Should be easy to implement.  Should also be simple to either set a club and it tracks your club stat, or if you do not select a club, then no club stats are saved.  

@Gabe.  I can speak for the Gear S App, which sounds like the UI is slightly different.

I have a Track Shot button, and a Putt button.  When I "track shot" it tracks the distance and it does seem to know when I am left/right of fairway.  After a hole where I have landed in the fairway, it counts it as a fairway hit.  I have also missed the fway left and right, and again it detects my shot is left or right of the fway.  In the times I have landed in the sand, it never "detected" it by the map or GPS coordinates.  So I have to manually set a sand shot.   When I am on the green I press "Putt" button so I think that is how it determines when I am on the green.  

As I press track shot (for every shot) and add putt, it auto calculates my score.  I do have to press the Next Hole button as there is no auto advance.

SBS is great at the club tracker, but yes lacking on the scoring part.  I would love to see either one of these apps inherit the competitor feature that they both lack.  I have a paid fee for both apps and I typically use SBS if I forget my watch, or with the watch I stick to GolfPad

Hope this helps

1 person likes this

Gabe,

1) Drive the ball with driver, stand up at tee and mark +shot on pebble, hit the ball Yes

2) Ball lands 280 dead middle of fairway, I have 240 left. I hit +Shot on pebble

Question: does the app record a fairway hit? The app has a feature that will automatically record fairways hit, you can manually change it for shots that end up on the boundary of the fairway/rough and read incorrectly.

2) I hit my second into a greenside bunker, 20 yards from green, I approach the sand and while standing in the sand, I press +Shot on the pebble.

Question: Does the app record a sand shot? The app does not automatically record sand shots, this must be entered manually on the phone.

3) I hit the sand to within a foot of the pin, I approcah the putt and press +shot

Question, does the app know when were on the green for the pebble and changes to +putt? The app allows you to add a putt using the +putt button, to do this you hit the middle button, +shot will be displayed on the screen, but you can cycle between shot types using the up and down buttons on the watch. The options other than +shot are +putt and +penalty.

4) I now approach the NEXT Tee and start the process over, assuming the hole number changes will the score from previous hole now be recorded?

There is not auto-advance feature associated with the watch, you can cycle between holes using the up and down buttons on the watch.

I am attaching a picture that helps demonstrate the buttons I am talking about as well.

(187 KB)

Just wanted to note as well, that club selection on the watch is a feature we are looking into adding possibly in the future. Definitely, something that we have had conversations about and will continue to do so. I will definitely keep this thread updated if I hear any new developments about it.

5 people like this

All -

I highly recommend the NFC Tags. Yes, it's $99 but it works pretty much flawlessly and will save you the trouble of fumbling around with data entry while out on the course. I'm a huge fan of the GolfPad GPS Tags and I'm picky about this (I previously returned the Game Golf NFC Tags because I was NOT happy with the product).

The only thing I have to use the watch for other than viewing information is to advance to next hole. I thought GolfPad GPS does this but it hasn't seemed to do it for me.  But I can keep my phone in my pocket the whole time, it's nice!!!

I would definitely like to see previous club used/recommended club based on average distance statistics on the watch display.
The bummer with the NFC Tags is they do not work with the Samsung phones which I have.
They work now so I guess I will be buying them soon
Login or Signup to post a comment