K
Knud Bilet

Will Golf Pad work on the new Galaxy Watch 4 ? Knud

10 Votes

50 Comments

Sorted by
E

Espen Johannessen posted over 2 years ago

I'm using Golf Pad on my old Galaxy Watch 46mm now, and considering pre-ordering the new Watch4 Classic, so I'm wondering the same thing! No Golf Pad - No Upgrade, so hopefully you got me covered!

2 Votes

N

Nvukelic posted over 2 years ago

Same with me here... Would like to try the new Wear OS, but I am really satisfied with the Tizen App... Considering the fact that Samsung left the Tizen OS, are you going the follow the same steps and make the wear OS app as functional as Tizen? That would be really nice.

0 Votes

E

Seems like I'm covered with everything I'm currently using and also that Golf Pad are in active development to further improve the Wear OS 3 app. I sent this question by email to Golf Pad support yesterday and got this reply back:

---

Hello Espen,

Thanks for contacting us. Golf Pad is now available for Wear 3 watches, including Samsung Galaxy Watch4 and Galaxy Watch4 Classic

You can see the distance to the front, middle and back of the green, PLAYS LIKE distance, track shot and putts from tee to green (including shot distances), add penalties, mark flag position, undo the last action (in case of an accidental input). With Wear 3, you can also add the Golf Pad Tile to quickly check on your progress in round so far and easily open the rangefinder. 

At this time the phone and the watch need to be connected over Bluetooth throughout the round - there is no standalone mode. Club tracking is also not available yet. Both are coming soon for our Wear 3 app.

Regards,

Alyona Retunskaya / Golf Pad Support

1 Votes

d

dennis obrycki posted over 2 years ago

When will GolfPad support Watch 4 /Wear OS ?

I have pre-ordered  and would prefer to continue GolfPad on a watch rather than directly on a phone

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted over 2 years ago Admin

Great questions! We have great news for you. Yes! Golf Pad is compatible with the new Wear OS 3 watches! Read more about it here

0 Votes

N

Great news, Cindy, thanks! Do you have an approximate timeline for Club tracking and standalone mode, when can we expect it?

0 Votes

J

James posted over 2 years ago

I love this news! Question: If we previously bought the Tizen version, do we have to buy the new Wear OS 3 app when we get our new watch, or are we "grandfathered" in?

0 Votes

E

Yeah, that's a good question! I still have around 7 months left on my premium subscription on Tizen, so it would hurt to have to pay for a new licence, but I assume the licence is for the account and doesn't really care about what watch you're using?

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Hi James and Espen - your account is active regardless of which watch you have (as long as it's a supported watch), so no, you will not have to pay for a new license if you upgrade to a the new watch with the WEAR OS 3 system. 

1 Votes

Cindy Wren

Nvukelic - thanks for your patience while I inquired about timing. We anticipate having it complete by the end of this quarter. That said, sometimes technical issues might come up that could delay the release. Keep an eye out for new updates in the app to be sure you have it available as soon as it's ready. 

0 Votes

N

That's totally fine and really fast, thanks, Cindy!

0 Votes

R

Robert Hobbs posted over 2 years ago

Hi, today I received my Samsung Watch 4 with wear 3 as an upgrade to my previous Tizen watch 3 paired with a Samsung S20FE.

Unfortunately there are issues. The Golf pad app works fine as long as I don't push any of the side buttons but if I do and exit the app entire watch  hangs and you can no longer swipe up to see the app tray or left to see the widgets and it is not possible to get back into the app and the only way to make the watch responsive again is to end the round on the phone and close the phone app - not great if you are playing a round!

I found a workaround until this is resolved. In the watch settings advanced features there is an option to change the double press of the home key  (top right button) to open an app, I changed this to Golf Pad. Now if the watch locks up double pressing the home key opens the Golf Pad app again. 

I hope this helps others until the issues has been resolved - I have opened a support ticket about the problem.

As separate note - many people have mentioned the android app is not as feature developed as the Tizan and it is true it is missing the ability to choose the club but in other ways it is superior. With the always on screen enabled on wear os the app stays open and distances visible all the time even without waking the watch, this is much better than Tizan where you had to change the watch setting to keep the last used app open for an hour. 

0 Votes

t

tim posted over 2 years ago

hi all new here just got my watch 4.

but i cant get to select club when adding shot via the watch. is that possible yet ?

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Robert Hobbs - thank you for sharing and for opening a support ticket so our team can look into this. We appreciate you sharing the work-around to help others! 

Tim -  We anticipate having it complete by the end of this quarter. That said, sometimes technical issues might come up that could delay the release. Keep an eye out for new updates in the app to be sure you have it available as soon as it's ready.  

0 Votes

R

Richard Joachim posted over 2 years ago

Cindy,

Since you cannot completely support the new Wear OS yet, can you offer existing and new users a free trial period, good until you have the bugs and app updated?? That seems only fair since we cannot use all the features we are paying for.

Richard 

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Richard - we do support the new Wear OS. All the Premium features are supported. The NEW Standalone feature is something we'll be adding in the next several weeks. It's not a core feature of Premium, rather something we've recently added. We are working closely with Samsung and Google to provide this additional feature. Considering the cost of Premium, with all it's features is $20 per year, we do not have a proration on Premium for those using Wear OS 3. Any new users who would like a trial of Premium, are welcome to contact support@golfpadgps.com to request one.  - Cindy

0 Votes

J

Jfhammer posted over 2 years ago

It is working fine for me on Galaxy watch 4 classic, but to enter the score I have to add a shot or putt. There has to be a better way? On original Galaxy watch a screen comes up and you can rotate the bezel to increase strokes and putts. Please let me know if I am missing something, tapping +Shot 3 or 4 times, then tapping +Putt a couple of times is not ideal

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Hi jfhammer -  I'm glad things are working well for you on the new OS. We will be adding this and other functionality from Tizen watches soon. For now, tapping +Shot and + Putt is the answer. We appreciate the patience everyone! 

2 Votes

K

Knud Bilet posted over 2 years ago

Hi,

I've just played my first round with my new Galaxy Watch4. (Previously I used a Tizen based Gear S3).

Besides what has already been discussed here, I observed that the ability to track distance when moving between shots is missing. On Tizen you could scroll down a couple of screens to see how far you've walked since previous shot, which was extremely useful when trying to locate a ball in the rough. Knowing the distance gave an indication on approximately where to look.

..... not that I'm losing balls in the rough myself, but just helping playing partners ;-)

Hope this feature will be brought to Wear OS 3 as well.

Knud

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Knud - thanks for your feedback. I'll be sure to pass this along. We are adding new features in the next several weeks. Stay tuned! 

0 Votes

M

Michael B posted over 2 years ago

I used the watch app today on my GW4 and had many issues.  I kept getting No GPS alert, the app crashed 3 or 4 times and the yardage was slow to update.  I disabled the watch setting after 4 holes.

Disappointed to say the least.

0 Votes

E

@Michael B: Are you sure you're using the latest version of the app and have the Watch4 up to date as well? I've played two rounds with my new Watch4, and the first round was a disaster with much of the same behaviour as you described (and a fully charged watch down to 18 percent after 18 holes), but after updating both the app and the watch firmware the next round everything worked as expected without any issues. The only other change than updating things was that I disabled always on, so you could try that as well, but I'd guess you're running old software.

0 Votes

M

Michael B posted over 2 years ago

I updated the app after the post.  Although I have not golfed since then I did run the app from my backyard and still got a couple of GPS errors but the yardage updates were more responsive.  As far as the random disconnects I will need to wait till I get out to play.

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Michael - if you still have issues, please do contact support@golfpadgps.com with the details. You can also "report a problem" from the app settings. This sends us a raw data log that can help pinpoint the cause. We definitely want you to have a seamless experience. - Cindy

0 Votes