Can any Android Wear OS watch with GPS run Standalone or only Samsung?

Posted over 3 years ago by Alan Schreiner

Post a topic
  • Topic is Locked
A
Alan Schreiner

Can any Android Wear OS watch with GPS run Standalone or do only Samsung (Tizen) and Apple watches work standalone? Sorry, I cannot determine that from your website. Is the general Android compatibility page referring to watches that can sync to the phone and use the Phone's GPS, or can the Android Wear OS watches with GPS listed run standalone with the phone in the bag?

I'm trying to select the best value Smartwatch. My phone is Android (Pixel 2 xl). I don't want to drop $200+ for a smartwatch just to use it for golf. I'd carry my phone instead. Would prefer the convenience of using the Watch GPS though.

Thanks, Al

1 Votes

16 Comments

Sorted by
Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted about 2 years ago Admin

Please visit our announcement here for the latest update on this topic.

1 Votes

Beat

Beat posted over 2 years ago

Is there any update on the promised new Wear OS version including club selection, standalone feature, etc. ? You promised so many times...

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted over 2 years ago Admin

Thanks for asking Ray! Club selection should be available in the next several days! 

1 Votes

R

Ray Torrillo posted over 2 years ago

Is there any update on standalone for Wear OS?

1 Votes

Cindy Wren

Beat - thanks for letting us know your thoughts on the update and for sharing a screenshot. We're working on Standalone mode. - Cindy

0 Votes

Beat

Beat posted over 2 years ago

Happy to have received the new Wear OS app version 15. The app shows now hole numbers, strokes and distances in better readable bold fonts, very happy to see this improvments. Beside this visual improvements not update on the app yet.

Looking forward to get the standalone mode and club selection feature in the next update hopefully. -Beat 

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Aungmynt - Thanks for asking. Huawei watch GT 2 pro uses Lite OS, which is not currently supported. Here's a list of watches compatible with Golf Pad.

0 Votes

a

aungmynt oo posted over 2 years ago

Can i use Huawei watch GT 2 pro?

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Hi Richard and Graham - we anticipate having Standalone mode available for Wear OS 3 by the end of September. That said, things do come up that may change the date we are able to launch the feature. Please keep an eye out for any new updates so you have access as soon as it's available. 

Graham  - it's been announced that Ticwatch should be receiving the Wear OS 3 update, so you'll be able to enjoy the Standalone mode as well as all the other features of Golf Pad Premium. I do hope you'll stick around to use all the features. Most users find the small annual investment in Premium well worth it. 

0 Votes

G

Graham Evans posted over 2 years ago

Just received my new Ticwatch, so disappointed with the Golfpad watch app, I should have read the small print, no club selection or stand alone options, I'll be cancelling next years subscription.

1 Votes

R

Richard Joachim posted over 2 years ago

Dear Cindy,

Galaxy 4 comes out this week..........do you have a date as to when the standalone for wear os will be ready?

Richard

1 Votes

Cindy Wren

Hi Ray- sorry for my delay in replying. Right now, Wear OS isn't compatible with Standalone mode, but this is something we are working on. 

0 Votes

R

Ray Torrillo posted over 2 years ago

Hi Cindy. I have a Ticwatch Pro 4G/LTE. Apparently it still runs on Wear OS 2.4 so if I understand correctly it will not work in stand alone, is that correct?

1 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted over 3 years ago Admin

That's correct. At this time Wear OS 2.0 doesn't work in standalone mode. - Cindy

0 Votes

A

Alan Schreiner posted over 3 years ago

Thanks Cindy. So Wear OS 2.0 doesn't work standalone?  Only Tizen 4 or greater phones?  That would limit standalone use to only Samsung Phones with Tizen 4 or greater then, right? Thanks for your help! -Al

1 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted over 3 years ago Admin

Thanks for asking! As long as you have a newer smartwatch running Tizen 4 or later, you can use Golf Pad Premium in standalone mode. In this mode you can leave the phone behind after starting a golf round.  The regular smartwatch features will work on watches not running Tizen. Let us know if you have other questions. - Cindy

1 Votes