Big Samsung smartwatch update!

Posted almost 4 years ago by Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren
Cindy Wren Admin

Golf Pad is now even more useful on Samsung smartwatches! Here's a few things we just added:

- Improved display for GPS distances and current hole number and score, making it easier to see outdoors.

- Additional information like elevation change to target, distances to layup points, current shot tracking distance.

- Mark flag right on the watch or use 'putt out' option to complete a hole score without adding individual shots.

- Use one of three modes for keeping score on the watch: total score entry, track shot location, or track shots location and clubs. Select your preferred mode in Golf Pad settings on the phone.

Swipe left or right to change hole. Swipe up or down or use bezel to show the extra information. Tap screen to keep score. The new features are available on watches running Tizen 4 OS (Gear S3 or newer). Download the latest Golf Pad watch app: version 5.4.4 or later is required.

Version 15.10 of the phone app is required to enable some of these features like layup points. 

We'd love to hear what you think! If you run into issues or have questions, please reach out.

0 Votes

39 Comments

Sorted by
M

Marek Nos posted over 2 years ago

I was thinking if there would be possibility to show last shot distance at the main screen. Its as valuable as last 4 other yardages. Especially in bogie golfer that is looking up his ball in rough and so on quite often :-D

Would be nice to edit lie from within the watch. Sometimes its not recognized well. Especially I never got sand recognized at any of the courses I played so far.

Also one bug. If I choose "Pick up" ball, the last shot is counted as it was holed out so its always dard green on strokes gained statistics, rather than being dark red (like penalty).

2 Votes

S

Srini Satagopan S posted almost 3 years ago

Had dropped off and was considering joining up again.. Will wait for some more time

1 Votes

M

Mike Pogorzelski posted almost 3 years ago

Used the app with a samsung galaxy watch (D55C) model, and overall it was good.  One big gripe I have is that after starting a round on the phone and running the app in standalone mode for the watch,  when I "close" the screen of the phone with the app running my watch says "no location".  Then when I unlock my phone it all catches up again.  This is with keeping the phone in my pocket,  so well within bluetooth range.   Location services are enabled on both the phone and the watch and both have their respective apps up to the latest verison.   Is there anything that I'm doing wrong? I've gone thru the troubleshooting on this website multiple times.

1 Votes

C

Chris Treece posted almost 4 years ago

Hello, Don't know if anyone else is having this problem but I run the app in standalone mode and in airplane mode to get accurate GPS but it now seems to be frequently exiting the app on the watch and I don't know why? It will then regularly freeze or crash the watch when trying to reload the app. Any help much appreciated as in general it works really well. Thanks, Chris

1 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted almost 4 years ago Admin

Hi Chris - which version of the Golf Pad app and watch app are you using? - Cindy

1 Votes

Cindy Wren

Hi Tobybarker - thanks for letting us know you are having trouble. Please see this article for some troubleshooting steps. If you still have issues, please open a new support ticket and we'll help you get it resolved. - Cindy

1 Votes

T

Toby Barker posted almost 3 years ago

Well, a year on and I thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt and try again.. Paid for full version. No surprise that still get the same problems as a year ago... Watch always shows "waiting for GPS location" and I have to dig out the phone and bring up the golf pad app to make it synch with the watch. Up to date apps on phone and watch..... Am I the only one?

1 Votes

T

Toby Barker posted almost 3 years ago

This is exactly it what I experience too.... Makes it unusable as far as I am concerned as I can't be bothered to keep taking the phone out of the bag...... Please help us!

0 Votes

R

Rich Hemmings posted almost 3 years ago

I think I read somewhere that you need to have the watch in standalone mode to use the on-board GPS? 

I also noticed this issue this weekend but don't recall having it before. 

When the watch app bugs out I find a reset of the app from the 'recent apps' typically solves it, if not a watch restart.

Also noticed that my battery is now lasting far longer than it used to... might be better charge cycles keeping the battery healthy(?) I havn't seen an update for the app recently that would explain it. 25% after 2 hours with BT, heartbeat, gps etc. 

0 Votes

R

Rich Hemmings posted almost 3 years ago

Knew I'd read it somewhere :) See Cindy's link above : 

https://support.golfpadgps.com/support/solutions/articles/6000226013-improving-samsung-watch-battery-life

wrt/ standalone mode. 

I haven't been using standalone intentionally, but I did notice that I was out of range a few times during a round this weekend - might have even coincided with the GPS loss. Try using standalone only?

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted almost 3 years ago Admin

Hi Toby and Mike -  If the watch app loses GPS when the phone screen is off, it almost always means that battery optimization apps or settings are on. They turn off location services when the phone screen is locked.  Please check it out in your settings. If you still have trouble, contact our support team so we can help. 

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Tobybarker - I will email you directly. - Cindy

0 Votes

T

Tobybarker posted almost 4 years ago

I get this and other issues....ticket submitted

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Chris Treece - I created a support ticket for you. We released an update on the 6th, so it may be related to that. We will email you to troubleshoot. - Cindy

0 Votes

Douglas Smith

Douglas Smith posted almost 4 years ago

Hi Cindy, I have tags that were purchased back when I purchased my Link. Do I need to upgrade my tags or are the original tags ok and will work fine with all the new features?

Thanks

0 Votes

R

Reggie Sykes posted over 3 years ago

I really like the watch app but I wish I knew what all the buttons mean.  Also can you put a penalty stroke on the watch or do you have to use the phone?

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Hi Douglas - Sorry I missed your post here! Your TAGS don't have to be udpated to enjoy these new features. Let us know if you have other questions. - Cindy 

0 Votes

R

Rich Hemmings posted over 3 years ago

Hi Cindy, I've recently come on board with golfpad and am using a Samsung Gear S3 - first off : love it. Your app is great and as a beginner really helps me focus on my game without having to worry about keeping score or track of which club to use. The data and analysis is really interesting and I'm sure will help my game improve!! My comments are.. 1. Where can I find update/ release notes? My app has just told me it's updated, but I don't know what's changed? 2. Are there any battery optimisations on the roadmap? I've performed some testing on my watch and battery drain is as per manufacturers spec, but I used around 70% charge during a 4 hour round in standalone mode. It *has* to be GPS(?), so maybe the app could disable GPS if consistent movement (i.e moving between shots) is detected?

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted over 3 years ago Admin

Hi Reggie - Yes, you can add a penalty from the watch.  This article has some screenshots about the watch function that may help. - Cindy

0 Votes

T

Since the upgrade I've had a host of problems, mainly the watch saying it's waiting for GPS position from the phone. Never used to have any problems. Not impressed with the upgrade (note I have upgraded watch app and the phone app)

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted over 3 years ago Admin

Hi Rich - thank you so much for your feedback. We're happy to hear it's helping you, especially as a new golfer. We keep update/release notes in the app store.  You are correct that GPS is a factor in battery usage during a round, because it's active during the round to provide accurate data. Here's an article that will help with battery optimizations. I'll be sure the team gets your feedback about battery usage. - Cindy

0 Votes

T

I have also noticed that the phone battery drains very quickly, from full to 20 percent over a round.... Never used to do that either

0 Votes

b

bskw@rogers.com posted over 2 years ago

Hi Guys. Bi have been using my Samsung Smart watch Active standalone after starting the round. The Golfpad watch features seem to work well, although I am still only a week into using a watch. However, it does not stay 'locked-on' to the Golfpad app, make it necessary fir me to scroll through 3-4 steps to get back to it. This is almost as bad as staring at the phone screen. Is there something I can do to rectify this? Thank you, Keith

0 Votes

T

Toby Barker posted over 2 years ago

My galaxy watch had a setting where the watch will automatically bring up the last-used app when the screen is activated.... It's in settings somewhere

0 Votes

Login or Sign up to post a comment