New iPhone Compatible TAGS - Feedback Wanted!

Posted over 5 years ago by Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren
Cindy Wren Admin

A few weeks ago we announced our NEW Golf Pad TAGS. Any Golf Pad TAGS purchased after November 1, 2018 are now compatible with iPhone 7 / iOS 12 or later as well as Android. iPhone users rejoice!

Tracking your shots automatically means you can focus on your game and keep your phone in your pocket. Hundreds of you have already purchased your new set. 

We focus on user feedback to continue to deliver the best experience and features. We want to hear from you! 

1. Are you an Android or iPhone user? 
2. What were your thoughts about the set up process of the new tags? 
3. Have you had time to use them on the course? What did you like most about using them? 

Any other thoughts you'd like to share with the team?

Ready, set, GO...

0 Votes

44 Comments

Sorted by
B

Brett McKinney posted over 4 years ago

I played a round with the tags today on my iPhone, and my phone kept unlocking from the smart lock in my pocket. Was a bit frustrating when I found my phone randomly playing music because the screen became unlocked. I definitely followed the instructions correctly. Any idea why this happens?

1 Votes

C

Chris Carson posted almost 5 years ago

I used the Tags with my iPhone 8 for the first time yesterday.  The registration went very smoothly and it was working well on the course for the first 11 holes, but the battery was drained at that point.  I was using the SmartLock feature.  I probably started the round at 85% but it was the only app running.  I did receive a couple of text messages during the round, but that was it.  Bluetooth was off but WiFi receiver was on.  I'll try some of your tips next weekend, and I'll take my charger just in case.

0 Votes

A

Austin Blair posted about 1 year ago

Hi, I was wondering if there was any update on the Fitbit app? I've been using the tags for 2 or 3 years now and I love them so much and they're the best. I play on average 30 times a year so I have a good history. I think it would be cool if we could go back further than just 50 rounds on the complete average Statistics. Thanks!

0 Votes

A

Austin Blair posted about 1 year ago

I'm so dumb, after almost 4 years of having this app, I just now realized that I can change that setting. Anyways, I'm in the market for a new watch and I can get a hand on me down Fitbit for free so I figured I'd ask first! Thanks!

0 Votes

R

Richard Thomas Beitel posted over 4 years ago

I just purchased the Golftags through Amazon and am unable to synch the tags to my iphone 7s.  Do I have old tags?  It is stuck on the Use LINK reader setting.  :-(  Help!

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted about 1 year ago Admin

@Austin Blair - I'm glad you found the setting to update the number of rounds you are viewing. For anyone else who doesn't know, you can change the historical rounds view from the Golf Pad app: Start Screen > Statistics > tap your profile name at the top of the screen > Range > Choose the range by rounds or timeframe. 

As for Fitbit, nothing imminent is planned. Here's a list of the watches that are currently compatible with Golf Pad. I'm sure you'll find an affordable choice there.  

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted 11 months ago Admin

@Martin ThomsonI'm going to create a support ticket for you. That will allow us to provide you one:one support to troubleshoot the issue you are experiencing. The forum is more designed to be a place of general conversation. Our technical suppor team will be in touch soon. - Cindy

0 Votes

M

Martin thomson posted 11 months ago

Yeah I got that. Seemingly you’ve known about this issue for ages and trying to get an update out to fix it. Not really helpful though to the thousands of people who have forked out money in the meantime. Surely we should be getting some kind of refund because we can’t use them now until the update

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted over 5 years ago Admin

Hi Dale! Thank you for your feedback. At this time, the iPhone/Samsung watch configuration isn't possible. We are working on FitBit compatibility. I'll get back to you with more details about the timeline. Are you using TAGS with your iPhone or just the Premium app? 

0 Votes

D

Dale Rupe posted over 5 years ago

Thank you for responding. I am using tags, and link. I’m in the snow state so time is not of the essence. Thank you for keeping me posted Dale Rupe

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted over 5 years ago Admin

Dale - I heard from our team was was informed that FitBit compatibility is on our roadmap for 2019. Sorry I don't have more specifics for you, but perhaps by the time the snow melts we'll have more news! 

0 Votes

C

Chris Carson posted over 4 years ago

Sixth time I’ve used the app on an iPhone 8. For best battery performance, I did the following: 1. Turned off cellular data on mail. 2. Turned off WiFi 3. Turned screen brightness down to less than 25% 4. Turned screen away from leg in my pants pocket. I had more than 40% battery left over after a four hour round. One suggestion though. If I have to unlock the smart lock to look at the course map and pinch to zoom in the map, sometimes it registers the gesture as a smart lock gesture. Can you turn off the smart lock when in map mode?

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted over 4 years ago Admin

Hi Chris - thanks for sharing your feedback about maximizing your battery life on the course! I'll pass your feedback about the smart lock gesture. I don't think there is a way to turn it off in map mode. If I learn different, I will let you know. Otherwise, we'll take that as a great suggestion for future enhancement. 

0 Votes

F

Frank posted over 4 years ago

I haven’t had this happen, but my case has a screen cover. This would decrease any potential issue as I can’t touch the screen in my pocket

0 Votes

C

Chris Carson posted over 4 years ago

I completed my second round with the tags. I turned of WiFi and email push and the battery seemed to last much longer, almost 20% left with 4-5 holes left. I went ahead and plugged in my portable charger though. I have had the screen unlock a few times with the phone in my pocket. I assume it is from touching my leg. I’m going to try with the screen facing away from the leg. I have also had problems while editing the scorecard after playing with the screen lock coming on when I try to zoom in on the course map. I have to turn the tag reader off during editing. I also had problems with, the phone reader not picking up the tag. In those occasions, I had to take the phone out of my pocket and read it directly. It could be the angle between the club shaft and the end of the phone since the phone moves around in my pocket and/or the otter box case. I’ll keep experimenting to see what works best.

0 Votes

B

Brett McKinney posted over 4 years ago

Regarding the screen unlocking, I think I know what is happening. If you got the cancel button on the scan prompt during smart lock, it exposes the bottom bar.. Due to movement, I'm guessing both the cancel button is pressed by my leg, and the bottom bar is being pulled; this unlocking the phone. Would it be possible to replace the cancel button with a gesture instead?

0 Votes

G

Greg Berardo Jr posted almost 3 years ago

I received my Golf Pad Tags a couple weeks ago but only 9 of the 15 would scan with my iphone.  I submitted 2 support tickets and have received no response, not even a whisper.  Yes my iphone version is the right one and yes I am using the latest Golf Pad app version.  Since there is no phone number to call for support I have to hope that someone gets back to me at some point.  Pretty frustrating and disappointing.

Attachments (1)

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted almost 3 years ago Admin

Gb0415 - Thanks for posting on the forum. We regularly achieve a 6 or less hour first response on nearly all support tickets. I see your support tickets and our replies. Please check your SPAM/junk or promotion filters. Search for "support@golfapdgps.com" and you should find them. Our first reply was on June 14th. I'll reply via your support ticket again, but they may be filtered. If you didn't get our auto-responder when you first emailed us, you might have given us a wrong email. Typo's do happen. We will gladly help you with the tags that won't scan. If you are getting an "incompatible tag" message, that means the tag wasn't activated at the factory. Just follow the prompts to "contact support". That will send us the info we need to activate them for you. Quick and easy fix. If the tags aren't scanning at all, that's another matter and we will need to replace them. To protect your privacy, we will need to get your address via support. 

0 Votes

G

Greg Berardo Jr posted almost 3 years ago

Hello Cindy, I have been checking SPAM and junk with regularity.  I am getting an "incompatible tag" message with 6 TAGS.  I followed the prompts to contact support from the app a few times but not with all 6 TAGS but I have not gotten any response at all.  I will send you my address via the email you sent to me.  Thanks

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted almost 5 years ago Admin

HI Chris - thanks for chiming in with your feedback. Please report back after trying some of those tips to help with battery life.

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted almost 3 years ago Admin

Gb0415 - Great. I'll look for it! 

0 Votes

F

Frank posted over 4 years ago

I use the tags with a iPhone Xs and apple watch. I find I can easily play 18 holes, but I will need to charge the phone later in the day. I do find it awkward to get the tags to register though on occasions ie stroking the edge of the phone over the tags for a while until something happens :-).

In the future it would be much better to be able to use the apple watch to do this. Currently I have stopped using the iphone now that I can do a standalone with the apple watch. This keeps my pockets phone free, which is much nicer.

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Frank - thanks so much for the feedback. I'm glad you've found the standalone option with the watch useful. The tip with the iPhone is the NFC reader is in the top of the phone, rather than the back like most others. You know Apple, gotta break the mold! 

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Hi Chris - thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear your battery issue is improved. Regarding the issue when editing the scorecard and the random "unlock" of the smart lock, will you kindly submit a support ticket. We'll look into why this is happening and get it resolved. 

Remember the NFC reader is located at the top of the iPhone. That should help you position the tag in the right area to get a reliable scan. 

0 Votes

Login or Sign up to post a comment