Shot Type

Posted over 8 years ago by Adam

Post a topic
A
Adam

A feature that allows you to select shot type e.g. Chip. This would stop chips or pitches from dragging your average distances down.

13 Votes

19 Comments

Sorted by
Keaton

Keaton posted over 8 years ago

There is already an algorithm that excludes outliers so that your average distances are not thrown off by poor shots or using a longer club for a short shot. We are looking into adding a feature to track specific shots types which would simply expand that statistics that are available for your game.

5 Votes

E

Elmo Johl posted almost 8 years ago

Hey guys, Thanks for a great app. Any news on the development of shot types?

3 Votes

C

Caleb Driscoll posted over 5 years ago

Hey Cindy!

you're busy I see.

I'm talking about chip, punch, loft, ect. so it knows to consider those shots when factoring distance averages as those types of shots destroy the club recommendations based on the club distance averages. 

3 Votes

Keaton

Keaton posted over 8 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. This is one we have received a few times and definitely a feature we wil be looking to add in the future.

2 Votes

C

Christopher Edwards posted over 6 years ago

Same question. Really interested in buying the golf club trackers but not spending money on it if the short game gives a false interpretation of shot distance!

2 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted almost 4 years ago Admin

HI Dave Rieberger - thanks for the suggestion! I'll pass it along to the team for consideration. - Cindy

1 Votes

K

Keith O posted about 5 years ago

Another option for each user who wants such a feature might be to create a special/fictitious "CPFF" (chip or pitch from fringe/near-green location, or whatever you want to call it) club in your Golf Pad app bag, which you could select in those instances while using any club you like -- so your CPFF club stats wouldn't skew your "actual" club stats. You'd have to select this club manually, of course, either on the phone or on a smart watch (if that feature is ever added). But it would not preclude use of TAGS for other shots (if you have/use them), as you would simply not touch the TAG to your phone or LINK device in "CPFF" situations. If you already have 14 clubs in your "real" bag, you'd need to decide which (if any) to leave out of your "app" bag.

1 Votes

K

Keith O posted about 5 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, Cindy -- you'd mentioned this a number of times in your responses to others in this thread. I think your reply misses the point, however, in the context of the feature requests presented above. It certainly makes sense for the app to exclude long and short outlier shots automatically when the golfer was trying to reach his/her normal full-swing distance with a particular club (150 yards with a 7 iron, let's say). Over time, the absence of the outliers removed by the algorithm would ideally result in a more-or-less average distance for a normal full-swing shot. The issue that I see with applying the outlier algorithm in the context of this thread (that is, to shots near the green/pin) is, however, that it probably does not factor in iron (or even wedge) shots that are almost always hit with a less than (and often much less than) a full swing when the distance to the pin/green is less (or much less) than that golfer's average full-swing distance with whatever club he/she chooses. A 6-iron chip from the green fringe is only one of many examples of such situations, where a 6-foot carry and 25 foot roll to the cup would be of little assistance to the outlier algorithm if the goal of the algorithm is to help figure out a golfer's average distance with a 6-iron. Instead, it could be extremely counterproductive -- particularly if a golfer typically ends up using his/her 6-iron from the fringe as often as he/she uses it during the rest of a round. Bottom line is that I'm not bad-mouthing the outlier algorithm (it's a great tool if used for it's intended purpose). I'm just saying that in the totally normal scenarios discussed here it produces statistically less relevant results when used as it (probably) was not intended. Removing "intentional" outliers from consideration by the algorithm by placing a fictitious club in the Golf Pad app (such as the CPFF club mentioned above) would give the golfer a tool to help overcome the algorithm's only apparent shortcoming. And the best part is that your developers don't have to write even one line of code to fix it. (Now if the outlier algorithm is smarter than I think it is -- meaning that it somehow knows or can learn that the 150 yard hit with the 7 iron mentioned above is that golfer's average distance, and then excludes any 7-iron hit within 150 yards of the green/pin from consideration as a possible outlier -- then I take back everything I said.)

1 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted over 6 years ago Admin

Hi Christopher! Our app actually excludes outliers so that your average distances are not thrown off by unusually poor shots or using a longer club for a short shot.

0 Votes

A

Angus MacDougal posted over 6 years ago

Hi Christopher,

I can confirm that the feature that Cindy refers to works very well and the average club distances are pretty well spot on after you get enough data into the app. Obviously more shots equals more accurate distance averages. you can alos manually exclude shots if you have one that you specifically don't want to use. 

I assume it also must work for shots that far exceed the average also? Can you please confirm that either way Cindy?

0 Votes

D

Dave Rieberger posted almost 4 years ago

This is an interesting topic. From 100 yards in I utilize 3 different hand positions on my grip, and two different backswing lengths. I would find it useful to record more than one type of shot for each club.

0 Votes

C

Caleb Driscoll posted over 5 years ago

implement please

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted over 6 years ago Admin

Hello Angus! Thanks for your reply. Thanks for mentioning the option to manually exclude - I forgot to mention that! It does also work for shots that far exceed the average as well! Thanks for asking.

0 Votes

A

Aaron Johnson posted over 1 year ago

I want to +1 this suggestion again. Specifically to keep track of my distances when I intentionally hit a 50% lob wedge, a 50% sand wedge, etc. I aim to hit my 50% lob wedge 55 yards based on my driving range data—I’d love to see if that’s translating on the course.

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted over 5 years ago Admin

Hi Caleb. You can set the lie type of your shots. See this support article. Is this helpful for you? 

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted about 5 years ago Admin

Hi Keith - thanks for the feedback and suggestion. Currently, outlier shots (particularly short or long) are excluded from your club stats automatically. While we work on additional features, I hope this information is helpful to you!

0 Votes

A

Angus MacDougal posted over 8 years ago

I have looked through some of my histoical data and a bunch of shots have been unselected automatically it seems. they are all from my earlier rounds and they are all ones that are short of my average by quite a long way. Is there already some sort of tollerance to decide whether to include a shot for distance measurement or not?  if there is then the above requested feature would be redundant

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted over 5 years ago Admin

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I'll be sure to pass your feedback to the team. Thanks again. 

0 Votes

Konstantin

Konstantin posted about 5 years ago Admin

Keith, the algorithm for auto-excluding partial shots is specifically intended for chips, bump-and-runs, etc. If you track your shots during a round and hit for example a 6i from the fringe, you will notice the shot will be auto-excluded from distance statistics. Here's an article that explains how to check that and how to manually include or exclude a shot from distance stats. The alternative solution you described with designating a special CPFF club  would also work, but it isn't strictly necessary.

Hope this helps, do let us know if you have any questions.

0 Votes

Login or Sign up to post a comment