New Auto-Advance Algorithm for Android

Posted over 6 years ago by Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren
Cindy Wren Admin

New in Android Version 14.5

Update your app for a new hole auto-advance algorithm. This new algorithm uses artificial intelligence system backed by Google's TensorFlow framework to pick the right hole for recorded shots. You should see improved hole assignment when using Golf Pad LINK or TAGS. Choose between new and old algorithm in settings / auto-advance. 

Let us know what you think! This is a big feature update and we need everyone's feedback. If you see any issues, have questions or comments, lets us know.

We should have an iPhone release in the next several weeks as well!

2 Votes

36 Comments

Sorted by
C

Chan Khan posted 19 days ago

Exciting news! The new auto-advance algorithm for Android promises smoother navigation and enhanced user experience. With improved predictive capabilities, it anticipates user actions and seamlessly transitions between screens, reducing wait times and frustration. This innovative feature demonstrates a commitment to optimizing efficiency and convenience for Android users. Looking forward to experiencing the benefits firsthand.

0 Votes

R

Randy Lundstedt posted about 3 years ago

Check your settings - there should be an option for auto hole advance. Make sure that is checked. I sometimes mark the flag and it doesn't matter if I mark it or not, the app always advances to the next hole.

0 Votes

R

Ric posted about 3 years ago

Stupid question here!

I always mark the pin, why won't it advance to the next hole after having marked the pin? Seems to be the logical thing after marking your putt...next tee...just a thought...

0 Votes

Douglas Smith

Douglas Smith posted over 6 years ago

I also played a round Saturday and the new algorithm worked flawlessly... I would say that it is fixed. Registered all shots, putts went where they should and auto advance was spot on. Now if we could just get that on off button to have a little bit of a delay in turning it off so that it doesn't get turned off accidentally that would be great!

Great Job!

0 Votes

R

Richard Robinson posted over 6 years ago

Played two days now with 14.5.3 and link worked perfectly for registering hole advance and putts. My experience is that the update had solved my earlier issues. Thanks

0 Votes

Irina Belitsa

Irina Belitsa posted over 6 years ago

We recently released an update to the fixed auto advance feature: Android version 14.5.3. - which is available now. 

0 Votes

R

Thks Jon. The download is 14.5.

0 Votes

J

Jon posted over 6 years ago

Richard, go to Settings (gear icon on entry screen) then scroll to bottom. Click Help to see Version.

I'm still on 14.5 with the standard auto-advance set. For the record my app just seemed wacky today.  I wouldn't see any shots then click on hole to add some and see four shots for the hole that I never set: 2 Set Club shots and two putts...outta nowhere. Have to delete them all before adding my shots.

0 Votes

R

HTC One (not 10) which the golf pad info in the App Store says is compatible. App updated 8 Sept 2017 so presumably I have the latest. Will test it in the competition on Tuesday.

0 Votes

R

I uninstalled and redo loaded the app. How do I see which release is on my phone? I have android on an HTC 10.

0 Votes

J

J. S. Walsh posted over 6 years ago

Still showing 14.5 here, updated August 22, 2017.  Android 6.0.1.  OnePlus 2.

0 Votes

J

A fairly new Samsung Galaxy S8.

0 Votes

R

Randy Lundstedt posted over 6 years ago

Jon - I just looked at the Play Store from my computer instead of my phone and even though the version listed on the Store is 14.5, if I scroll to the bottom of the page, under "additional information", it states that the app was updated on Sept 8 (2 days ago) and the current version "varies with device". So, I wonder if our devices wont see the update for a while (for whatever reason)? I am using a 2 year old Motorola Droid Maxx 2 - what are you using?

0 Votes

Douglas Smith

Sorry, I forgot I signed up for beta and that must be the reason that I have version 14.5.3, I got my update 19 hrs. ago.

I will be playing later today or tomorrow so I will see if there is any change in the way GP auto advances.

0 Votes

J

I concur that my app and the Play Store is showing 14.5 for me also with no update available.

0 Votes

R

Thanks Doug - unfortunately, I don't see the update as being available. I just checked my version and I'm at 14.5 with no updates available. I went to the Play Store and the version on there is also 14.5. I uninstalled the app hoping that if I installed it fresh that it would get the latest version, but I still ended up with 14.5. I am playing today in a few hours so hopefully it'll update soon. If not, I know I just need to swipe up on my watch to advance the hole. Thanks for responding - have a great day!!

1 Votes

Douglas Smith

Hi Randy, The version update has already been updated. Check for upgrade to Version 14.5.3

0 Votes

R

When will that version be available?

0 Votes

T

The Engineering Team posted over 6 years ago Admin

We are releasing new android version 14.5.2 with fixes, please give it a try and let us know if that helps.

0 Votes

Cindy Wren

Cindy Wren posted over 6 years ago Admin

@all - I will follow up with the development team on this. Your feedback is important. I will keep you posted. 

0 Votes

J

I know that I should have mentioned that I don't have a LINK and am using simply NFC tags.  However I was going to ask if it was thought that a LINK could help the issue.  I guess not.

0 Votes

J

J. S. Walsh posted over 6 years ago

Douglas Smith,

Here here.  I went with the link system to avoid having to interact with my phone on every shot using apps I preferred to this one which did not have a hardware solution.  I'm disappointed at this point to say that I feel I have to use my phone too much with this solution.  My playing partners, many of who are of older generations, are noticing this.  I'm having to all too frequently check that this is working when with other products without the tag or link solution which relied on phone GPS I could use discretely.  I have inquired about returning this product, just inside the 30 day window because of this and have not received a satisfactory response.

All of that said, I am an application developer with almost 20 years of experience in all phases of the SDLC.  I'm also currently a consultant for Differential GPS and RFID based solutions in the shipping and thus I can understand this pain probably better than most end users.  To that end, thought I'm a paying user, I would like to see something like this succeed so I'm probably more patient than most when it comes to end user QA.

0 Votes

Douglas Smith

Hi Jon, I had that problem myself and wrote a support ticket about 2 weeks ago about the random assigning of shots all over the place. Support said that they were working on it but nothing yet. I played today using the old algorithm and now I have the problem of not registering putts and not auto advancing at all. I just switched the Link off mid round today and went back to just using the Tags just to finish the round. Right now the Link is just becoming to un-reliable requiring to much phone interaction while I play which in my case is a no no..

0 Votes

J

I was not aware of the update and didn't notice that I was set to new.  I have always had minor trouble with seeing shots recorded on holes that I haven't played yet but just yesterday I was on my third hole having played maybe a dozen shots or so when I noticed that my scorecard looked like it had been assigned random shots...a shot here ....another there...a half dozens shots scattered around the holes on the card.  So I came to the forum and read about auto-advance.  I don't know if this is related because it's just not skipping (advancing) to the next hole.  They were randomly assigned or so it appeared.  I've set it back to old to see what happens my next round.

0 Votes

R

OK - went and played today with the old algorithm and what everyone said earlier is true. Putts do not register with the TAGS and the holes do not advance automatically. Switched back to the new algorithm and putts will register with TAGS but the holes do not auto advance. My question is if the old algorithm used to work, why does it not work now? Did something in the old algorithm get changed? If so, you guys might as well get rid of that option to use it because it is worse than the new algorithm now.

0 Votes

Login or Sign up to post a comment